The hobby Cymbidium scene.

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
MrCym

The hobby Cymbidium scene.

Post by MrCym »

It seems to me from a very cursory observation that the the hobby scene in suitable areas in Australia is both vibrant and growing. I see new names and some very well-grown and good quality plants being posted on various Forums. A continuing plea is for information on possible new sources of various types of Cyms. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. Some shonky operators will cash in on the tight supply with old and tired re-clones. There are several really slippery traders in Australia, all with their little "rollover Lab" cranking stuff out. But I believe a new nursery offering a range of quality Cyms is in the offing. Watch this space!

To me, the US hobby Cym scene is dire. So few Cyms of any sort grown outside of California, especially standard Cyms. Yes, there are a few (fewer than ten!) really keen collectors/hybridizers but basically it has all become a pot plant market for the very limited supply of flowering Cyms. I am following Cym hybrid registrations and the US is MIA!

I sense some uptick in Cym interest in S. Africa which is a positive. Duckitt Orchids are a very professional cut flower export operation and some interesting Cym photos have been posted to Facebook by hobbyists and my friends at Plantae Orchids this past SH Spring.

New Zealand is barely progressing. Stupid import restrictions have seen a decline in both Cym and Odont Alliance flask arrivals. Plus the weak NZ dollar makes imports very expensive.

As far as I can see, apart from unusual forms of local species, the Japanese and Chinese scene is almost totally driven by commercial Cym producers of blooming potted plants with a small, though possibly growing, demand for cut flower standards and intermediates in China.

Places like the UK that were once strong Cym suppliers to the world have faded now to a very low ebb. Fortunately people like Brian Gould are expanding their collection and seeking quality new stock but the import barriers are formidable. Of course, sensible people know it's the worthless Kewites who are behind the silly restrictions.

Any Forum member who is growing in a different part of the world, chime in and tell me about your Cyms. I am always keen to find out about Cyms in unusual areas.
Gary S

Re: The hobby Cymbidium scene.

Post by Gary S »

I hope you can announce some good news for us here in Aus soon Andy.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Twenty two readers and you're the only contributor, Gary. One has to wonder what enthusiasts think. Are they enjoying the hobby? Are they enjoying orchid friends at a local orchid society?

Sometimes I will post a pic on Facebook and get literally over 100 likes. But when maybe I pose a semi-technical question, the whole scene changes and 95% of the "likers" go quiet. One is left wondering about the level of interest and the depth of Cymbidium and Odont Alliance cultural knowledge among the orchid world.

Just saying!
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Well Andy, I can't speak for other hobbyist growers, although some share my thoughts. Without the availability of new seedlings (both Cym's and Odont's) here in the local market, then the hobby will wane. An injection of new blood is needed along with suitable advertising to make people aware of the product, to renew interest and get the hobby moving again.

So it seems the Cym scene might be catered for soon - but now what can we do to get the Odont hobbyist scene up and moving. I am sure a lot of the Odont seedlings (apart from the WT types that Sam is growing on commercially) that you have shown on the forum in the last year or so would sell here if there was an outlet. What do other Aussie hobbyist growers think?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Well Gary, I'll be Devil's Advocate here. Looking at the US, the more traditional Odonts (as distinct from Hawaiian-grown Intergenerics) seem to be well out of favor. You have Tasmania as traditional Odont country and here, parts of California, Oregon and Washington state are ideal Odont growing environments yet so few enthusiasts seem to want to grow them. We all know Gerald McCraith grew amazing Odonts in Melbourne a half Century ago.... has the climate changed since then?
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Thanks for the reply Andy, I think you could expand the growing area north of Tassie, parts of Victoria, SA and NSW would be OK. Mt Beenak grew great Odonts in Vic till recently. It would be great to get a few flasks here to grow on of what you might call the easier growing types, 3 or 4 hobbyists around the place could grow them on to test the waters so to speak.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

I'll bat some ideas around.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Thanks Andy, see how you go.
In the meantime, any other Aussie members here - lets hear your thoughts please.
MrD

Post by MrD »

I think Gay hit the nail on the head when he wrote "Without the availability of new seedlings (both Cym's and Odont's) here in the local market, then the hobby will wane. An injection of new blood is needed along with suitable advertising to make people aware of the product, to renew interest and get the hobby moving again."

Here in New Zealand the difficulty in getting new and different breeding stock holds the whole Cym. breeding scene back.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Over the last couple of years I’ve been trying my hand at growing a few Odont. types. I always attended the San Francisco show 30 plus years ago and I have to say that the Odonts on display were absolutely phenomenal and always made me want to give them a try. Since giving them a try I’ve been having pretty good luck. I have a pretty nice red hybrid of ( Oda. Petite Shine x Oda. Queen of Hearts ) in spike and can’t wait to see it bloom again in probably another month.