Cymbidium Cherry Blossom 'Profusion'

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
cricketerry

Cymbidium Cherry Blossom 'Profusion'

Post by cricketerry »

This is a primary cross between pumilum and erythrostylum registered in 1963. A very small plant in a 10cm pot. Just a single spike with 10 flowers but very useful if you are a cym lover and have little space!

Terry
MrCym

Re: Cymbidium Cherry Blossom 'Profusion'

Post by MrCym »

Has long been a favorite of mine. What a pity it was never treated and made into a tetraploid. I had one seedling from it years ago.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

That is a lovely hybrid Terry, keep growing that well. I am not a 'pink flower' fan, but that is different and appealing.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I have to agree with Gary S here. This is a real nice flower Terry. And doesn't the erythrostylum influence shine through?

Terry. I like a nice pink, and don't believe Gary. I spotted him on Saturday night on a T.V. covereage of Sydney's Mardis Gras. I will say no more. But Gary S. Next year, cover your shoulders, and don't wear bright pink elbow length gloves. They don't suit you.

:o
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

That is a particularly nice pink Terry.

Nigel, you have been warned before to stay on topic and not hijack threads. I was nowhere near Sydney on Saturday night. :lol:
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

I have a pumilum in Colombia so I am tempted to remake the hybrid and treat the seed with Oryzalin. Someone would do well to take this line forward.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Agree Andy - one of your rare remakes and they would have no problem selling. I see pumilum's come in a few different colour shades, wonder how that would influence the progeny's flower colour.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Almost not a remake if I personally haven't made it before. I believe the green form of pumilum would be better with erythrostylum but I know the original was made with a brown pumilum.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Might be a wise move for someone to do 2 crosses with both pumilum colour forms.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Very interesting - I like the soft colour. Intriguing shape although I tend to like flowers with a little more volume.

To give you a sense of how I use this forum - after looking at this flower, I looked up pumilum and erythrostylum ... as a learning exercise.

So, thanks for posting Terry. Helpful. As are the comments that follow because I can walk down paths that I didn't even know existed.